a genealogical record of the watson clan and many others.
First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]


» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 36» Next»     » Slide Show

Enfield, Hartford, Connecticut Historical Marker


ENFIELD Connecticut settled in 1680 .... Established as the Township of Enfield in 1683, this area was part of the Springfield Plantation granted to William Pynchon and others by the Massachusetts General Court..... Springfield was settled in 1636 but no effectual grants were made until after King Phillips war 1675-1676 ............ In 1679 John Pease and his brother Robert of Salem Massachuetts, visited the land and spent the winter alone in a hut on the hillside of the present day Enfield Street Cemetery. The next spring 1680 they removed their familes along with those of their father John Pease Sr. and Elisha Kibbe to Freshwater Plantation. Within three years thirty more families from Salem and vicinity joined them.............. In 1688 a purchase for 25 pounds Sterling was made of the Indian sachem Nottatuck of all lands from the Asuntuck or Freshwater Brook to the Umquatuck at the foot of the falls and extending eight miles east. ---------------------------------------------------- The Springfield Committee governed Enfield until 1693, when the town began to control its own affairs. ENFIELD became part of Connecticut in 1749 by secession from the Royal Government of Massachusetts Bay and union with the charter government of Connecticut. The groundwork for such a step had been laid for more than a century earlier by an error in the surveyors Woodward and Saffery, who in 1642 established a boundary between the colonies running southwestward nearly to the site of Windsor. { erected by the Town of Enfield in 1976 }

Owner/SourceAncestry.com by SailorsSoul
File nameEnfieldConnecticutMuseumMarker.jpg
File Size55.1k
Dimensions333 x 500
Linked toJohn Pease, Jr; John Pease, Sr

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 36» Next»     » Slide Show